Wednesday 10 June 2009

SPORTS LEADERS OF THE FUTURE


LOCSP Press Release: Wednesday 10 June 2009

SPORTS LEADERS OF THE FUTURE

Leyton, London – Leyton Orient Community Sports Programme (LOCSP), supported by CLM, recently ran a free ‘Sports Leaders UK Level 1 Award in Sports Leadership’ at SCORE.

10 girls and boys aged 14-16 from Newham, Waltham Forest, Hackney and Tower Hamlets took the week-long course which enabled them to learn the key skills on the road to becoming a sports coach and gain a nationally recognised qualification.

The first day of the course saw the youngsters learn about what is needed to be a sports coach, with the second day progressing to assisting qualified coaches with their sessions.

The last two days are a test as the young leaders have to plan and execute their own sessions with their contemporaries.

One such young person was Courtney Taylor-Preville, 14, from Leytonstone who on completion of the course said:

“I have been doing multi-sports at SCORE for three years and wanted to try something new. My Dad found this course on the website and I wanted to do it so I came along with my brother.

“I enjoyed taking my own session the most as we had all done a lot of hard work and to see where it finished was satisfying.

“This course has opened up my eyes to a lot of other sports and as I have always been quite a good basketball and handball player I would like to give coaching them a go. I aim to now complete the CSLA [Community Sports Leaders Award) and then my FA Level 1 in coaching like my dad.

“I would tell anyone reading this to go and do this course as it is good and can not only help your sporting work but it can help you in life.”

LOCSP is running two Sports Leaders courses at SCORE this summer:

Sports Leaders UK Level 2 Award
Monday 27 July – Friday 31 July, 10am-4pm - 16+ years
(FREE if referred by LOCSP or partner agencies / £50 for the week otherwise.)
Please note – this course must be PRE-BOOKED. Attendance every day is compulsory and students have to compete an additional 10hr Work Placement and Emergency First Aid course to pass.

Sports Leaders UK Level 1 Award
Monday 24 August – Friday 28 August, 10am-3pm. 14-16 years
(FREE if referred by LOCSP or partner agencies / £30 for the week otherwise.)
Please note – this course must be PRE-BOOKED. Attendance every day is compulsory

For more information or booking forms please contact Philip Rudling, LOCSP Education Manager on 020 8556 5973, email philip.rudling@locsp.org or visit the website at www.locsp.org.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home